28 August 2016

Working with the Missionaries of the Poor (MOP)

MOP Reflections: Introduction

It's high time I documented this experience, but I have a hard time talking about service sometimes. I so hold myself to a high standard of being genuine that I worry about my words not doing this experience justice. Yet, I've made several volunteer trips to MOP, Jamaica, with my family, and each has undeniably changed our perspectives and left a deep impact on our lives. It is definitely something worth sharing, so here we go! (Skip to the end to see the video compilation)

Volunteer Crew 2016


The idea of 'voluntourism' haunts me, because I fear that this is all that we're doing, but I know in my heart that it's more than this. It is a faith-sharing experience, where we, the volunteers, are able to share in community with the Brothers of the Poor who have dedicated their lives to those who have no one else to turn to: the abandoned, the elderly, the disabled and homeless. We live, pray and serve with the brothers, and accompany them to the community homes to support them in their work, like cleaning, feeding, and keeping the residents company. No, we probably aren't as efficient as the brothers who have been doing this for years, but the impact of this experience is not based on how much we can get done. It's about bringing our joy and presence to the community, and supporting the brothers in this ministry. 


Sharing a moment with Shirita, who has since passed - may she rest in peace :(
Each time that my family and I have visited the Missionaries of the Poor, we are touched and humbled by the experience. When asked to share our thoughts with the brothers, of course, we had lots to say: we feel inspired; the brothers show us the true meaning of love as Jesus taught; the simple lifestyle reminds us of what's important; the focus on prayer and reflection centers us and brings us closer to God; interacting with the residents and seeing the joy that our presence brings is unforgettably fulfilling. We are undeniably changed and influenced for the better when we visit MOP.

However, it's not just about us.

One of the striking things about MOP is that it's about more than what volunteers gain, but also what we contribute. When the brothers took their turn to share their experiences with us, we learned the other side of the story. They told us that they, too, are humbled and inspired by the volunteers. They told us that seeing volunteers leaving their homes and coming to support them in their work makes them feel like they are not alone; though we return to our comfortable lives, it is a show of solidarity and camaraderie that inspires them to keep doing what they're doing.



Sharing a meal with the brothers during our lunch break
It is refreshing for them - and the residents - to see new faces every so often. What's more, the brothers travel from afar (from places like the Philippines, India, Taiwan, South Africa and more), leaving behind their families and the life they've always known. They only see their families once every 10 years during home visits, and I remember distinctly one brother telling us that having the volunteers visit and serve is like having family - in us, they see the sisters, brothers, mothers and fathers whom they left behind.

After one of the most vibrant & moving masses I'd ever been to
Then, there's the spiritual aspect of it - the time spent in mass, prayer, and reflection adds another valuable dimension to the experience. You experience an immense peace of mind that allows you to really connect with the brothers, the residents, yourself and God.

Lastly, there's the absolute joy that lives in the community. Each day, the brothers work with smiling faces and positive attitudes. They do more than serve the residents - they read scriptures, do praise and worship, and sing and dance with them. Despite their sad circumstances, the atmosphere at each home is hopeful, and it is remarkable to witness.

And these are the things I remember when I think about the experience. It is a community like no other, and an experience I am happy to share. Truthfully, I still may not be doing it the justice it deserves, but I have tried my best.

Here is the video compilation I created documenting our latest experience at MOP, narrated by my brother and his friends:




I've also posted a couple journal excerpts about working at the homes. Click here to read more!