16 September 2014

20 Facts About Me Yo

Hi hello & welcome!
First Post! For starters, 20 facts about me:

1. My name is Astrid. It means "divine strength". There's no doubt that names have power. Without this strength God gave me, I'm not sure where I would be today.
2. I'm 18
3. I'm done with secondary/high school. Am I at university? No. Have I applied anywhere? No. Do I know where i want to study? Do I know what I want to study? No and nope. Does this bother me? No. Was I lying? Yes. It's like looking into your future and seeing a cloudy mist of uncertainty. Am I trusting that God will work it out for me? Yes. (Do I have a choice? No.)

4. I have a lot of interests
5. But I can only say I'm truly passionate about one thing: Reading. I love to read. My taste in books used to be fantasy/girly comedy/teenage romance/action (to an extent)/dystopian/anything young adult. (Hunger Games and The Book Thief make the top of my list). But I'm trying to expand my reading horizons now. 
6. I'm indecisive. Going to Coldstone and trying to choose one of their 24 Signature Creations is a dilemma for me. Yet I have to choose a university and career path in the next few months. Laughable, isn't it?
7. I firmly believe that God has been and will continue to look after me. There're just too many near misses and small miracles in my life that could be accredited to pure chance or luck. What is luck anyways? Pssh. Its God working in your favour, that's what.
8. I've had a smart phone for 2 years and I'm officially sick of it. Sick of the unproductivity it encouraged; the procrastinator it brought out in me; the addiction (I've moved from Facebook to Instagram to Candy Crush to Youtube and back around again. I was gonna add, "I'm not as addicted as some people" but denial is useless. Time to stop justifying all my bad decisions); I'm just sick of the way it made me a self-centered person who lost sight of what's important.
9. Writing is my childhood passion. I used to write mini books as a child. When I tried to graduate to bigger and better things (i.e. Chapter Books that were computer typed and not hand written), I started to lose confidence because my imagination would spit out an idea and then I wouldn't know where to go from there. I still struggle with this lack of confidence. My dream is still to write a best-seller. I would love to say I'm working on something now, but truth is I've been working on a lot of things for a while and I've almost ditched them all. Maybe this blog is a last ditch effort to bring back the spark to my relationship with the written word
10. I have learnt more about myself and about life in the last few months than I have for my entire 18 years on this planet. (Details to come in future posts!) Admittedly, my 'life problems' and 'issues' aren't half as life-threatening as the things some people endure. But one of the things I learnt is this: That doesn't undermine the validity of the struggles I face. Because it might help someone else out there. I hope this blog helps someone who reads it.
11. I live in Trinidad. For anyone who doesn't know where Trinidad is or what it's like, stay tuned for future posts about my beloved twin island republic.
12. I love to daydream. Especially about guys.
13. I used to journal. Yes, "used to". Why did I stop? How has this drastic decision affected me? Is blogging my new way to vent? I don't know. I guess we'll find out in future posts.
14. I'm trying to keep you all tuned to the other things I have to say.
15. I really love myself. That's not to say I don't have those horrible down days where I look in the mirror and I'm like "Heck, you're ugly." Or those days when I cry because I wish I was cooler/better/had more personality. The grass is always greener...where you water it.  I like who I am inside and out. I like the way people see me. You won't see me being loud and boisterous about, because that's not the person I am, and that's ok.
16. I think one day I'm going to change the world. I don't know how. And change the world as in, change some people's worlds. I just want to have an impact and leave a legacy and know that I lived my life in a way that helped and shaped and improved others' lives.
17. I'm Catholic. And I'm now starting to understand some of the beautiful things about my faith. Spirituality is also one of the things I struggle with every. single. day. And it doesn't get easier.
18. I feel like I'm forgetting things. 
19. Who cares about me anyway? I'm saying all these things and don't know if anyone's reading it.
20. Say what. I'm just getting started. 


Hope you enjoyed! Stay tuned for more.